Wednesday, November 18, 2020

    When Topps released their "Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens" set back in the Fall of 2015, little did I know that it would be one of the last Star Wars sets that Mike would work on. Photorealistic sketches became the preferred (and mandated) style, and artists who didn't fit that mold were just not asked back. Sad day for the hobby in my opinion. 

   So today's sketch comes from that 2015 Star Wars: Journey to the Force Awakens set. And it's of one of my favorite characters- Luke Skywalker, one of him early on in the original trilogy when he had his blue lightsaber. I always thought it was cool how Mike drew lightsabers with the little flecks around the outside edges showing the energy glow of the weapon. Not all of Mike's pack inserted sketches are in color, so I was happy to be able pick up this one.

   I don't know all the terms for the different styles that artists use, but this sketch seems to be in more of a comic book style. A good friend of mine has been urging me to make a post about how Mike's style has evolved over the years. Maybe with his help we can co-write that post one day soon. Anyways, back to this sketch- I like how Mike did a more angular face on Luke. It makes him look determined. And as a comparison I included two Galaxy 6 sketches of Luke from my old blog. The first even has Luke in that same side profile, just from a more distant perspective. Mike's sketches always make me smile. That's the thing that has always attracted me to his work. I can't look at that bottom sketch, the "farmboy Luke" sketch, without getting a big grin on my face. 

   That's it for this week. Thanks to all for stopping by and reading!

#starwars #michaelduron #locoduck #locoduckduron #artistsketchcard #artistsketch #sketch #lukeskywalker #jediapprentice #jedimaster #markhamill #anewhope #empirestrikesback #returnofthejedi #theforceawakens #thelastjedi #riseofskywalker @michaelduron @locoduckduron @michaelduronportfolio 







No comments:

Post a Comment