Wednesday, November 25, 2020

    I've been a big fan of widevision sketch cards since 2009 when Topps released their Star Wars Clone Wars Widevision set. One sketch per box. Boy, do I miss those days! Clone Wars Widevision- bigger cards meant more space for artists to work. A lot of collectors have a love/hate relationship with Widevision cards. They're different. They don't store as easily as standard cards. Anyways, I love them. 

   So in the past 11 years I believe we have had four Widevision card sets that had sketch cards- 2009 Clone Wars Widevision, 2010 Empire Strikes Back  Widevision 3D, 2014 Return of the Jedi Widevision 3D, and 2015 Revenge of the Sith Widevision 3D. Mike had sketch cards in all four sets, so I pick them up whenever I can, although they don't come onto the market very often and I only buy if the price is right (cue up the music Johnny Olson... okay, bad joke). 

   That brings us to this week's sketch- a full color General Grievous close-up out of Revenge of the Sith Widevision 3D



General Grievous was an odd character in the fact that, according to the Wookiepedia, he was completely cybernetic except for his brain, some vital organs, and parts of his head. He was a Kaleesh Warlord, feared Jedi hunter, and a brilliant military strategist. He loved to kill Jedi and take their lightsabers are trophies. Grievous was pretty badass, but was killed in a lightsaber duel on Utapau by an even bigger badass- Obi-Wan Kenobi.

   If I had a rare criticism of this sketch by Mike I would say I wish it was from a slightly more distant point of view where you could at least see Grievous' whole head. I love what's in the sketch, but I would love to see more is all I'm saying. This sketch cuts off the top of his skull and the top of his ear. I think Mike was going for the "IN YOUR FACE!" look on this sketch, and he nailed it! Also, I like any sketch in which Mike draws a lightsaber. Too bad the lightsaber is also cut off. 

   Anyways, thanks all for stopping by and reading! Take care and have a blessed Thanksgiving.

#starwars #michaelduron #locoduckduron #locoduckduron #artistsketchcard #artistsketch #sketch #generalgrievous #grievous #jedihunter #revengeofthesith #attackoftheclones #lightsaberduel #lightsaber #obiwankenobi #obiwan #benkenobi #jedimaster 

@michaelduron @locoduckduron @michaelduronportfolio 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment